Thursday, March 5, 2009

I'd Like That Back Please

Ok, I have a post that I have been sitting on for about a week now. As you may know I flew to Ohio last week for a youth ministry conference. Well on the second part of my flight there I had a chance to read some of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer newspaper. As I was reading through it, there was a small story that caught my attention. I thought about sharing it then, but I never really had a good chance to write over the weekend. So I wanted to share it tonight. This just seems to say volumes about the state of our culture (at least to me).

The paper has a section (at least on this day they did) titled "5 Things You Should Know Today." This was the #5 thing in that section, but it seemed to stand out the most to me.

The Associated Press reported Wednesday that a court has rejected a New York surgeon's claim that he should get $1.5 million in his divorce settlement because he donated a kidney to his wife. In a ruling Tuesday, matrimonial referee Jeffery Grob says the kidney was a gift. It was donated in 2001, during happier times in the marriage. Grob says a wide range of items are considered marital property, but donated organs would not be among them.

What a crazy world. So, if you are thinking about donating any vital (or otherwise) organs to a spouse you better be dang sure that this is the real deal because you won't be able to get that back from them. It's not exactly like when you break off the engagement and ask for the ring back. Can you put organ donation in to a pre-nup you think?

Again it just kind of stands out that the guy wanted to get paid for doing something (the right thing even) for someone he loved (at least at some point). I think the funniest thing though is the fact that the "matrimonial referee" had to clarify that donated organs don't fall into the range of marital property. Peace and Love y'all.

No comments: